The pen for you

The pen for you


The great thing about fountain pens (e.g. cross fountain pen cartridges) is that their cartridges are replaceable – and cost just a few dollars. There are a few different types and styles of cartridges available, but most of them fit inside the nib of the pen – which makes them easy to use. These cartridges come in several different sizes. The exact diameter is measured by both the manufacturer and the pen maker, and the smaller the diameter the shorter the pen’s nib and the bigger the pen. As we already mentioned in our Quick Beginners to Filling Pens guide, a top press is different from a loose press.

With a top press, the nib sits in a cylindrical piece of metal that is heated, which lifts the ink, and presses it into the cartridge. The problem with top presses is that they are hard to find, and not very practical when used to fill a Montblanc meisterstuck pen. Thankfully, there are a lot of different types of presses available. It may take a little while to learn how to use a nib press, but it’s a useful skill to have as a fountain pen user. After a little practice, you can see which press suits your needs best, perhaps a Parker pen.

Top Press

The upper cap and the lower cap (sometimes called the “drawing” and “driving” caps, respectively) are connected by a metal ring that holds the nib and the ink cartridge. The top cap and the drawing cap should always be connected. The drawing cap should always be connected, and the upper cap must always be connected. The drawing cap is the main part of the cartridge. It can be turned up to release the ink from the nib, or it can be turned down to close the cap. The lower cap is similar to the top cap, except that it is simply used to screw on the nib to the body of the pen, or to snap on the cap. The lower cap is removable, so you can use an additional barrel. This makes for ultimate convenience, durability but also sustainability as not a single drop of ink will be wasted while using.

How to Use It

There are a few basic options to fill a fountain pen, and more options are available for purchase. First of all, how do you hold the pen? The fountain pen has several different types of grips, and it’s important that you use the one that works best for your hand and arm. These grips are easy to swap in and out, and the most common ones are the two-handed grip and the low grip. In the two-handed grip, you hold the pen in your left hand, and hold the drawing cap on the writing end of the pen with your right hand. The low grip lets you hold the pen one-handed and draw with your left hand, but you don’t let the nib go in your Lamy pen.